Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Boom-booms, Babies, & Birthdays

Our little part of the world has been in a major drought for the past several months. It's been a pretty brutal summer in general, and we've prayed for rain a lot. Soooo, when the Alzheimer's Walk was rained out, we certainly didn't complain though our plans were ruined. 

This past weekend, we had a FULL schedule . . . much fuller than we like. On Friday night, our plan was to attend our town's annual Bluegrass and Chili Festival. We've done this several times in the past (in our pre-baby life), and it's always been a fun time. However, while we were finishing up dinner at home, a HUGE windstorm suddenly came up. It was CRAZY and the wind ended up damaging several structures in the area. After a bit though, the wind died down some so we loaded up the kiddos and went on to the festival. 

Well, as soon as we pulled in and paid for parking ($10!), it started to POUR rain. We weren't even out of the car yet! Chris decided that we should wait for a bit in the car, then go on into the Expo building where the indoor portion of the festival was held. When we went into the Expo, it was raining a bit but not too bad. 

Of course, I had told Brianna how much fun the festival would be . . . that there would be music, horses, games, food, etc . . . all the outdoor stuff. She was less than impressed with the indoor part (which is basically like a craft fair). However, she did get her face painted which she enjoyed:

After about an hour inside, we trucked back outdoors to find that the rain had pretty much stopped. Unfortunately - due to the crazy windstorm - the Kiddie Korral had shut down for the evening meaning no horses, games, etc. Also, there was no live music going on either. Booooo! Brianna was not thrilled:

We had heard that the music may start up if they rain stayed away, so we bought some cotton candy (my FAV!) and decided to just walk around for a bit. Haha . . . yeah, well as soon as we got the cotton candy, the skies opened once again and it started POURING!
Annnnnd, we decided to just go home :-(. We just kept reminding ourselves that we are SO THANKFUL for the rain!

On Saturday, the weather was PERFECT! We would have loved to go back to the festival, but our day was all booked up. Oh well, such is life sometimes.

So, Saturday morning, Brianna and Chris went to church to help hand out fliers for our Gospel Meeting that is going on this week. Meanwhile, Brenson and I ran errands and got groceries. I hadn't done a solid grocery shop in weeks, so it had to be done. It was actually so nice to be out with just Bren. Of course, when Brianna was a baby she and I went everywhere together (just the two of us) but Brenson and I don't really ever get that opportunity. We had the best time.

That afternoon, Brenson and I went to my friend Kendall's baby shower while Daddy and Brianna rested at home. Kendall is having twin girls, and we couldn't be happier for her! Kendall and I became friends in college, I was a bridesmaid in her wedding, and she helped throw me a baby shower when Brianna was born. Her friendship is so special to me.

Brenson was SO GOOD at the shower. It was at 2:00pm (right when Brenson generally goes down for a nap), but I put him down early and he slept the whole drive to the shower (about 45 minutes). He rolled with it and did fantastic!

Kendall's little nephew was there and entertained Brenson while she was opening gifts. He laughed and laughed at Xander.

Kendall and her husband have been waiting for this for a long time, and now they're being DOUBLY blessed. God is so good. I'm co-hosting a shower for Kendall and the girlies in a couple of weeks, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to celebrate with her on this day as well.

After the shower, Brenson and I headed home to pick up Daddy and Brianna. THEN, we went to a birthday party for a little girl that we go to church with. It was a fun party, but we didn't stay long. We wanted to get the children home and in bed at a decent time since we have church on Sunday mornings.

Plus, this past Sunday was a very busy day as well. We had worship service in the morning, then a church dinner, then our congregation hosted an area-wide singing. After the singing, we only had a couple of hours until we had a guest speaker for our Gospel Meeting so we didn't even bother going home. It was a loooooong day, but so uplifting!

How was your weekend?


Anonymous said...

Finally a person that puts some real work into a blog. I do like what you have done with the blog.

Emily said...

He has the cutest outfits ;)