Wednesday, December 20, 2017

December Fun - Holly Jolly at School!

Yesterday was my big kids' last day of school for the semester, and I'm so excited to have them home for a few weeks! We have lots of fun things planned, so here's hoping we get over the fevers we currently have (ugh!) so we can concentrate on having a great Christmas! We've had a few activities at the school this month, so I thought I'd write a quick post all about those things. 

The first activity was the kindergarten Christmas performance. This was actually on November 28th (so not technically this month). I really like the way our school does Christmas programs . . . they have each grade sing one or two songs during Rise-and-Shine (the daily morning assembly), but each grade has their own day. It's nice because it's early in the morning (so doesn't interfere with evening plans or routine), and it's short :-). I love watching my kids, but I'm good with one or two songs, haha! 

Brenson was ready for his performance!

The kindergarten just did one song this year, and it was jingle bells. Bren had told me that he was going to jingle the bells, and I assumed all the kids would have a little set of bells to jingle. However, I was wrong! Mr J (the music teacher) had one large set of bells, and Bren jingled them for the song. He was so cute and serious about it, but did a fantastic job and stayed right on rhythm. After the song was over, Mrs. S (the PE teacher) came up to me and said she enjoyed watching Bren practice the day before because he took his job so seriously :-).

A week later on December 5th, second grade performed their song. Bren has been battling a cough for what seems like forever (truly, since before Halloween) and had been up all night coughing the night before Brianna's performance. That morning, he actually got choked on mucus and threw up, so we decided to keep him home for the day. Chris stayed home with him so I could watch Brianna, but we were all disappointed that the whole family wasn't able to be there :-(.

Of course, she was cute and did a great job. This girl loves to perform!

The next week, on December 14th, the school had a holiday lunch where all parents/guardians/families were invited to eat at school with their student. Chris took the day off work (pretty much so he could participate in this), and we all spent several hours at the school eating with Bri and Bren and volunteering during the other lunch sessions. 

Of course, I had to put Brecklyn and Brooke in their festive Christmas shirts. So cute!

Brooke, Momma, and Bren

Brecklyn, Momma, and Brianna

As a {sort of} side note: This was the first year that we've actually participated in the Thanksgiving lunch or the Christmas lunch. Logistically, before this year there was really no way for me to join Brianna for lunch with her three younger siblings while getting us all food and making sure I didn't lose a kid. Chris didn't have the time to take off work those years, so we just missed out. I'm so thankful that we've been able to participate this year. Bren told me that he didn't care if we came or not (not snotty, just matter-of-factly), but he just lit up when he saw us! I know he was glad we were there, too. 

On Monday of this week (December 18th), the big kids both had their Christmas class parties. While class parties certainly aren't my favorite thing, I had volunteered to help out with them.

These girls just love going to the school!

Beautiful Brecklyn

Beautiful Brooke

You can't tell from this picture, but they were more excited than I was. They kept asking and asking when we were going to go!

Once again, the parties were staggered so we were able to attend them both. It's great the way that has worked out for us! We had a good time in Bren's classroom, even though I didn't really get to see him much (I was busy volunteering at a make-your-own-ornament table).

This photo of Bren in his little class photo booth is too cute!

After about 45 minutes in Bren's classroom, we headed on down to Bri's room. Brianna always wants the girls right there with her or even sitting on her when we visit the school (which is totally opposite of Bren who kind of acts like he just wants them to go away, haha).

Brianna and Brooke

Brianna and Brecklyn

Bri's class did a super fun little game where each team had to dress one of their team members like a snowman using toilet paper! 


The kids had a ball with it, but I'll be honest and tell you that the adults did, too! We had our own team, and we wrapped Mrs. C all in toilet paper!


When the game was over, the adults were the judges of who had the best snowman, so of course we declared ourselves the winners, haha! But really, look at what a great job we did :-)!

Class parties wear me out, but at least we didn't have a fire alarm and evacuation interrupting our fun this time! Even though they exhaust me, I'm still very thankful that I am able to join my kids at school. It's really interesting to me to watch them in their classrooms and interacting with their friends.



No comments: