Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Cute as a Pumpkin!

We have several Autumn traditions that we love to do every year, and one of those is carving/decorating pumpkins. This one seems to usually get pushed to the back burner, and in recent years we've even skipped it a few times. Day-to-day life with four littles can often be hectic without adding in extra activities, so in interest of everyone's mental health some activities just have to eliminated. This year, however, the kids are older so doing fun activities has become much easier. We actually had two pumpkin decorating sessions this year!

The first project was one that I'd seen on Pinterest. I thought this looked like something my kids would love, I had all the supplies on hand, and the kids could do it independently for the most part. The project was melting crayons over small pumpkins. 

We began by gathering up pieces of broken crayons (and we had a lot!). Then, we peeled the paper off the broken pieces. 

Each child had a small pumpkin they had picked out at the pumpkin patch, so we used those for this activity. Once all the crayons were peeled, I broke them to all be about the same size. Then, each child selected the colors they wanted to use and placed them on their pumpkin.


After all the crayons were placed, we used my heat gun (I have it for crafting) to melt the crayons. Of course, I gave the kids a little lesson about how to properly use the heat gun because it gets very hot.

Once the crayons begin to melt, the colored wax runs down the pumpkin.

The wax dries quickly, and the result is a beautifully colored pumpkin!

Brooke's pumpkin was white, so I was eager to see how the colors looked on it.

I tried to help her with the heat gun at first,

but she really wanted to do it "by herself". Okay, kiddo, have at it!

Her white pumpkin turned out so pretty!

Brecklyn also had a white pumpkin.


And, Brecklyn was also all about doing it by herself!

I think Brecklyn's pumpkin came out so pretty because we melted the crayons a little less. As a result, the colors didn't run together as much.

Brenson, especially, enjoyed this activity because he loved using the heat gun. After we finished, he went on a hunt for other things he could melt with my heat gun. Eeeeek! Lol.

When Brianna got home from school (Brenson had stayed home with a slight fever), it was her turn to do the activity.

She didn't need my help at all 😭.

Her pumpkin turned out so well, and I think the reason is because it still had a stem. This allowed the wax to run down the pumpkin more instead of pooling on top. Look how pretty it is!

After Daddy got home later that evening, we ate a quick dinner and headed outside for more pumpkin fun. I had purchased a pumpkin decorating kit, so we tried our hand at that first. This was new for us this year!


The kit I purchased had rub-on transfers to put on your pumpkin. We chose a couple small pumpkins to try it on.

Brecklyn helping Momma

Brooke helping Momma

Brenson helping Momma

Brianna helping Momma

We had great luck with the transfers and the effect was really neat!

I continued to work on the small pumpkins, but the kids were ready to dig into our big pumpkin. The most exciting part is always when Daddy takes the top off of the pumpkin for the first time! I mean, we even do a countdown. Because of course!

Brooke loved sticking her hand in the goo.

Brecklyn was definitely more apprehensive about it.

Brenson has never really liked to put his hand in a pumpkin . . . I don't blame him as I'm the same way!

Brianna has a disgusted look on her face, but she actually enjoys this part, too!

Haha!

I think Daddy had more helpers than what he could handle :-).

Once they got their hands yucky, the little girls just wanted to play in the seeds and goop.

Brooke, Brecklyn

Meanwhile, I added glitter glue, spiders, and a few jewels to my pumpkin.

After the pumpkin was cleaned out, Brenson helped Daddy begin the carving. Generally, this is the part that Daddy does by himself, so I think he was happy to have help this year!

It turned out just right!

I don't know how long the kids will be interested in these types of activities, but for today I'm thankful for our time together doing things like this. I know these are memories I will always hold dear!

No comments: