Tuesday, September 24, 2019

A {Really} Bad Hair Day

I often say that parenting is full of surprises. Just when I think I know one of my children - or attempt to predict their reactions or behavior - they do something completely off the wall that surprises me!

Last Thursday evening, I attended Digging Deep (our monthly ladies Bible study). We had just finished our study and were visiting when I received a text from Chris. Actually, there was no text . . . just this photo:

Of course, I replied, "WHAT happened?!?" because that was about the last thing I was expecting to see. I mean, things don't often run as smoothly at home in the evenings when I'm not home, but Bren acquiring a bald spot on the back of his head wasn't something I anticipated would be an issue!

Chris replied to my text that Bren had decided to shave the back of his head with my razor while taking a shower before bed that evening. Because this was something SO out of character for Bren, Chris asked him several times why he would do something like this. Bren would never give him an answer. 

Bren was asleep for the night by the time I got home, but of course I snuck in his room to try and get a look at his hair. As you can see in the photo above, he shaved his head smooth and it felt super weird when I touched his head. I was just shocked that he would do this! 

The next morning, I tried to talk to Brenson about what happened, but he was so upset that he wouldn't talk. He thought we should take him to a barber to fix his hair before school (which of course wasn't possible because no place is open that early), and was distraught to find out that he'd have to go to school with his hair looking like that. There were tears . . . lots of them, and Chris finally agreed to try his best to "fix" Bren's hair before school. 

Chris did his best with the tools he has, but it definitely didn't look great. Better, yes, but there was no doubt that something had happened to his hair!


I went into Rise and Shine with the kids that morning, and Bren was super clingy and not wanting to go sit down with his class. There were more tears (at school . . . which was possibly a first!), and I finally had to just leave. I don't know how parents of criers deal with it every day because it tore me up to leave him while he was upset! I did talk to his teacher about what had happened, and she was so sweet to send me a text a few hours later with this photo and the caption "Having a great day!"

(I personally hate the "bowl" cut, so I was not a fan of his hair at all!)

Several people from school told me that they said something to Bren about his new haircut, and he just said, "My dad did it." Thankfully, they know us well enough to think that something else must have happened for his hair to look that way. Bren certainly wasn't making any confessions, though!

On Saturday morning, Chris took him to a barber to have it fixed even more. After just a few days, you could hardly tell anything had happened at all!

Bren never would really give a reason or an explanation for why he did this. I thought that maybe it was because his hair had been looking really shaggy (he needed a haircut!), and Chris had made a few comments about it the few days prior to the incident. Also, Bren mentioned to me that he didn't really know my razor would do that, which is possible because he's never used a real razor and he has a play razor (that came with a shaving kit) that looks just like a real one only it has no blades. Whatever the reason, he's the last of my children I would ever expect to give himself a haircut (and at 7 years old!), but I'm pretty sure he won't do anything like this again as he was really embarrassed! Of course, like I said above, just when I think I can predict my kids' behavior, they set out to prove me wrong!



No comments: