Friday, March 12, 2010

The Magic Hanky

A few weeks before Brianna was born, my mom gave me my "Baby Box". For each of my siblings and myself, my mom kept a box of our baby things. When we each had our first child, she gave us the box.

My box was the last of the Baby Boxes taking up residence in my parents' attic. There were so many times that I truly wondered if I would ever get my Baby Box, but I finally did! There were so many interesting and sentimental items inside the box (I'll have to do a full post on them sometime).

There was one item that had lived part of its life in the Baby Box, but my mom gave it to me a few days before I was married over 8 years ago. This item is called The Magic Hanky. I wore it home from the hospital as a bonnet after I was born, then carried it as a hanky in my wedding.

Mom reminded me to dig it out and have Brianna wear it home from the hospital as a bonnet.
I'm so glad she remembered! What a special little tradition!

Here is a poem that came with the bonnet/hanky:

I'm just a little hanky
As square as square can be
But with a stitch or two
They made a bonnet out of me.
I'll be worn from the hospital
Or on the Christening day,
Then I'll be carefully pressed
And neatly packed away.

For her wedding day
So we've been told
Every well-dressed bride must have
That something old.
So what could be more fitting
Than to find little me
A few stitches snipped
And a wedding hanky I'll be.

And if perchance it is a BOY;
Some day he'll surely wed
So to the bride
He can present the hanky
Once worn upon his head.

No comments: