Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patty's Day and the Zoo

Yesterday, B and I spent a super-fun day at the Zoo with our friends, Christie and Callie. We, of course, wore green in honor of St. Patty's Day!

B has been to the Zoo a few times before, but this is the first time that she really enjoyed looking at the animals, not just the people :-). The Chimps put on quite a show for us, and I was telling her all about them. I talk to her all the time... she probably gets tired of me yammering in her ear *grin*.

B decided that she needed to be a big girl like Callie and stand up at the window!

After we'd been there a while, we decided to take a break from the animals and ride the carousel. B was excited about riding when we first got on.

The Carousel is one of Callie's favorite things to do!

As soon as the carousel started moving, B became super-serious. I think she was a little scared (though I was holding on to her the whole time). You can see the death-grip she had on the pole in this photo. Ha! This face cracks me up!

The petting zoo is always fun... well, it's not my idea of fun, the girls loved it! Brianna would get very excited, run up to the animals, then barely pet them with one finger. She was a hoot!

Having a great time on this super-blustery day!

B was truly fascinated with the large animals. She learns about elephants, lions, zebras, and giraffes on Wednesday nights in her Bible class, so she recognizes those animals. She would point to the animal, then look at me, then point, then wave at the animal, then look at me like, "Is this for real?" Here she is watching the elephants (with me, talking again, ha!):

Interesting side-note: Chris and I saw giraffes in the wild when we were in Zambia in 2008. At the time, I remember thinking how different African giraffes look compared to ones I've seen in the zoo in the US. The African giraffes looked faded to me. Here is a photo that we took of an African giraffe in the wild:

And, here is a photo of an American giraffe at the zoo:

See how different they look? I think it's fascinating!

Miss Callie and Christie were trying not to blow away!

Me and my sweet baby girl... a little windblown, but having a great time!

I hope you all had a great St. Patty's Day as well!

No comments: