Saturday, March 25, 2017

A Little Chitter-Chatter

Hi, Everyone! Today, I thought I'd do a post of random photos and thoughts that I want to share in my little space here. We've had a few fun and special things going on :-).

As you know, February is birthday month around here, and that definitely keeps us busy. However, along with birthdays, we often have several other special things that we celebrate in the month of February! 

At the beginning of the month, Brianna celebrated her 100th day of school! It's different to me that kids celebrate that milestone because I don't ever remember the 100th day of school being a "thing" when I was a kid. Brianna's teacher requested that they all dress like 100 year old people for the 100th day of school, and we had so much fun with that little "assignment"! Brianna wanted her hair to be curly, so I rolled it in sponge curlers the night before the 100th day. As soon as the twins saw Brianna in curlers, they insisted that I roll their hair, too. I was cracking up at the three of them!

The next morning, Brianna was excited to take her hair down and get dressed up. She played the part well!

Brooke's hair (which is naturally curly anyway) held the curl well. It ended up being big Texas hair with all the body and curl! Brecklyn's hair (which is thin and straighter) didn't hold the curl at all. Brianna's hair has body and is thick with just a little wave, so it takes and holds curl beautifully!

Each year, Brianna's school has a night where they invite all the students and their families to attend a basketball game hosted by our local university (where I was employed before children). We participated in this event last year and had a great time, so we were pretty excited to participate again this year. It was quite a bit more difficult with two mobile toddlers, but we had a great time even though we left half-way through the 3rd quarter!

Valentine's Day has never been my favorite holiday. In fact, I really don't like it at all, AND it comes at a busy time because it falls right between Brenson and Brianna's birthdays. The kids do enjoy it, however, so I've kind of been forced to at least recognize that it happens, haha! Brianna had a class party on V-day this year, but I opted out of attending that one. We did let the kids exchange cute little handmade Valentines and dress in themed clothes, so they were happy with that :-).

Brecklyn, Brenson, Brianna, and Brooke on Valentine's Day

We've been in our house almost six months, but we still feel like there is a lot we need and want to do to it. We have a large bonus space upstairs that until recently was pretty much empty. I have a large craft table and some shelving up there for my craft supplies, but other than that, it wasn't being used. We finally purchased some furniture for that space at the beginning of January, and it was delivered about six weeks later. I'm happy with the way it all came together! We purchased a hutch for a TV, a couch, and an overstuffed chair (I do plan to do a post with pictures of the inside of our house, so I'll show off our new furniture in that post). We went five months without a TV, so the kids have certainly enjoyed having a TV in the house again!

Brecklyn and Brooke will watch TV for about 10 minutes, then they move on to more exciting things!

Brenson and Brianna love to lounge out and watch TV sometimes!

We also had the task of painting our playhouse looming over us. We had chosen to not paint it before we moved because we wanted it to match our new house. Then, we just didn't get the painting done before winter hit. It was looking pretty bad (and needed to be sealed), so we took advantage of a really nice weather weekend in early February and got it done! Well, it's not completely done quite yet. We do have some trimming to finish on it, but the bulk of the painting is completed!

This photo was taken before the front was fully painted.

We also recently hung storm doors on our front and back entrance/exit (and by "we", I really mean "Chris"). Again, this is something we've wanted to do since we moved in to our house, so we were excited to get it done! 

The back entrance/exit

The front door . . . I feel like it looks more finished now!

Of course, our weekends haven't been all work and no play :-). One Saturday morning, the kids were asking us about where we went to high school. We decided it was a great day for a little road trip to the town that was home to Chris for most of his childhood and teenage years and was home to me during my high school years. We only live about an hour and fifteen minutes from that town, but I haven't been back in over 10 years (Chris has driven through it a few times).

We enjoyed showing the kids around town, including the houses we lived in. It's funny how things can seem very much the same and very different at the same time!

Brooke, Bren, Brianna, and Brecklyn standing in front of the high school

Bren, Brecklyn, Brooke, and Brianna sitting on a bench on the school grounds

Brianna, Bren, Brecklyn, and Brooke standing in front of a newer part of the high school

After driving around town for a bit, we stopped at the local McDonald's (that didn't exist when we lived in town) for a treat, then let the kids play at the park. 

Brianna

Brooke and Brecklyn

Brecklyn

Brecklyn

Brooke

Brecklyn

Bren

Bren

Brianna

Bren

Brianna

Brooke

Brooke

Brecklyn

Brooke

Bren and Bri

I'm pretty sure some of that playground equipment was about as old as I am, but as you can see from the pictures, the kids had a blast on it!

High-school sweethearts . . . back to where it all began :-)!

The last Sunday in February, I got a wonderful surprise when I walked out into the foyer at church and saw my friend, Holley. It had been about four years since we'd seen each other, and I had no idea she was coming! She was in the area for a work conference and decided to surprise me. We were able to go to lunch together after church and enjoy some great conversation. I love that we can pick back up every time we see each other, even if it's been a long time. 

We've also been enjoying other friendships recently. Brenson has been so excited for Sadie to join us at Library Story Time a few times. On the day this picture was taken, we were celebrating Dr. Suess's birthday. 

We also enjoyed a play date at a local museum that has a great little children's area. It was our first time to have a play date with a family we know from the library, and our kids hit it off pretty well!

Brenson trying to lasso a rope

In one of the children's areas, there are pieces of wood and ropes that the children can use to create various things. Brenson decided to make a bow :-).

Brecklyn put some of the wood on a rope and wheeled it around.

Brooke used the wood pieces as bracelets. It was so fun to see how each child used their imagination to create different things!

Another area that was a big hit for the children was a dress-up area that was complete with a stage. My kiddos and our new friends all had a ball performing for us!


While I was watching Bren perform, I noticed that Brooke had disappeared. I found her in my purse with my lipstick *sigh*. My little mischief-finder was pretty proud of her shiny, pink lips :-).


We also had fun meeting our cousin at Lego Club at the beginning of this month. We always enjoy Lego Club, but we haven't been in several months for one reason or another. The last time we went, Brooke and Brecklyn were kind of a handful, but dare I say that they were SO much better this time? Whether this is a new trend or just a good day, I'm thankful for a small break from the twin toddler shenanigans, haha!

Brenson, Brianna, and Chloe Jo at Lego Club

Finally, I want to share a few pictures of the sunrises we see out our living room windows every morning. We love opening the shades to find God's glorious painting on display for us! The kids, especially, appreciate how no two sunrises are ever the same.



Who can believe April is just around the corner?!? Here's to more beautiful spring days and time spent outdoors!


1 comment:

Charlotte said...

So good to hear from you! I kissed your posts! Looks like you guys have been busy having fun!!