Saturday, May 27, 2017

Wrapping up the school year

I'm not sure how this is happening, but time seems to move faster with each passing year. The end of the school year kind of snuck up on me, and before I knew it we were coming to the end of Brianna's first grade year!

As I've already posted, we took a road trip to be with my nephew for his high school graduation, and Brianna missed two days of school because of that trip. We have no regrets about that . . . we feel that being with family for JT's graduation was very important, plus I feel like it's good for Brianna to see her big cousin graduating. Her class had two field trips planned for the end of the year, and unfortunately one of them was on one of the days we were in Tennessee. Brianna was sad to miss the field trip because they were meeting their penpals they had been corresponding with all year. The second field trip was scheduled for Wednesday, May 17th. This was the day after we returned from our Tennessee trip. 

The road trip to Tennessee was pretty hard on me. I was still dealing with severe pregnancy exhaustion, and the 10 hour driving trip home brought with it a horrible headache for me. As soon as we got home, I went straight to bed because I was in so much pain. I was really concerned that I wouldn't be able to join Brianna for her field trip to the bowling alley the next day like we had planned, but I felt okay the next morning and was able to go!

All the parents met the students at a bowling alley in a neighboring town for a morning of bowling fun. Brianna was so excited for me to be there! She bowled on a lane with three of her sweet friends, and they had a great time!

She was a decent bowler for only having bowled a few other times.

Chris's mom came to watch the younger three kids for me so I could focus on being with Brianna. We were both excited for this time together!

I'm pretty sure this lane had four of the cutest bowlers out there!

Brianna is a very touchy-feely child, so I'm used to having a kid hanging all over me (Brooke is this way, too). However, this day, Brianna had to compete a bit with her friend, Allena, for my attention and affection.

We had lunch at the bowling alley, then all headed to the park for some playtime. The weather was beautiful - albeit windy - and it really was the perfect day for an outdoor field trip.

I followed Brianna around and played with her for a while, but I also enjoyed sitting back and just watching her play with her classmates.

This girl brings more joy to my life than I could ever express!

It's hard to be there for Brianna (especially for school events) as much as I'd like, but I'm so thankful I was able to join her this day!

A few days later, we found out that Brianna would be receiving a 25 mile running medal during Rise and Shine. The school has a program that awards the students for running during recess. They keep track of how much the students are running and give rewards for certain milestones. Last year, Brianna earned her 25 mile medal, but I didn't think she was going to make it this year. She likes to run and loves getting that medal, but she has been more interested in playing with her friends during recess this year. The day before this medal ceremony (which was the last one of the year), Brianna's teacher noticed that she only needed four more laps to earn her 25 mile medal. So, the PE teacher (who is fantastic) took Brianna out to the track and ran those four laps with her so she could get her medal! I have continuously been impressed with the level of care the teachers at Bri's school show to their students!

Getting that medal!

She was very proud of her medal!

We are so proud of Brianna for reaching her goal to earn a running medal this year. Next year, she's already decided that she's going to go for the 50 mile medal!

On the final Tuesday before school let out for the year, Brianna's teacher, Mrs. L, hosted a little party for her students and parents. Once again, Chris's mom was able to come watch the younger kiddos for me so I could attend without them in tow.

Brianna served me lemonade and cookies while I sat at her desk and looked at a few projects she had made. Her fabulous teacher (seriously, we loved her) also put together a scrapbook of the year that I will treasure always!

After we ate and looked through the scrapbook, Mrs. L read us a book. I can't remember the name of it, but it was all about watching our kids grow up and how there will come a last time for dressing them, tucking them in, carrying them, reading them a story, etc. I WAS A MESS while she was reading! I probably would have gotten a little misty normally, but throw a bunch of pregnancy hormones in there and I had full-on tears streaming down my face! It was almost embarrassing! After the story, Mrs. L gave each student a unique, candy-themed award. It was obvious she knew her students well and put a lot of thought into these awards. Each one fit each student perfectly!

Brianna received the Gummy Bear Award for "being a caring and huggable classmate". Mrs. L said that Brianna gave her hugs every single day and was always one of the first ones to help a fellow classmate who was potentially hurt or sad. I personally couldn't think of a more fitting award for my sweet girl!

Again, I was so thankful to be able to share this time with my girl. She makes me proud to be her mom!

Watching this girl grow into an incredible young lady is an amazing privilege. I know I say it all the time, but I am just SO grateful for everything Brianna brings to our lives!

The last day of school was Thursday, May 25th. It ended up being a hectic morning, and I was mad at myself when I realized that I had forgotten to take Brianna's photo before school. Thankfully, Mrs. L was fantastic to take tons of photos for us all throughout the year, and she took last-day-of-school pics. When I saw Brianna's, I cracked up! I guess she was being too cool for school? Haha!

I did go ahead and take a photo of her when she got home that afternoon. Her clothes were an absolute mess (I'm still not sure what they did for her clothes to look like they did), but it's an accurate representation of how Brianna looked at the end of almost every school day. First grade was a GREAT year for us, and we are a little sad to be leaving it. However, we are also looking forward to a wonderful summer and all the experiences second grade will hold!

It's a little crazy to me to think that next year I'll have two kids in school. I'm thankful we still have a few more months until that happens, haha!


No comments: