Monday, May 28, 2018

Bren's Kindergarten Graduation (and a running medal!)

As we neared the end of the school year, I was expecting Brenson to have a "graduation" ceremony for finishing kindergarten. I was also expecting that it would be a hard day for me. When Brianna graduated from Kindergarten, I had a really hard time. I was very emotional about it because I just feel like they are going from babies to big kids when they complete kindergarten - and while I love watching my kiddos grow and thrive - it can also be hard on a Momma's heart! 

Brenson's graduation ceremony was in the afternoon on Friday, May 18th, and it just happened to work out that he also received his FIFTY mile running medal that morning at Rise & Shine. He definitely had a BIG day!

The principal, Mrs. S, putting Bren's running medal around his neck

He worked so hard this year to earn this medal. Very few Kindergarteners reach this milestone!

Taking a victory lap!

Brenson had set a goal before he ever started school to earn his 50 mile medal, and he was so excited to reach his goal! He worked at this for nine months, and I'm sure that felt like a long time to him!

Showing off his medal and his necklace with his foot charms - each foot charm represents five miles of running!

Later that afternoon was the Kindergarten graduation ceremony. This was obviously a special time for Brenson, but it was made extra special as Bren had been asked to perform at the ceremony. The kids' music teacher, Mr. J, is a wonderful teacher. He loves music and works very hard to instill that love in the kids, as well. He is Brianna's piano teacher, and we've talked to him several times about Brenson taking guitar lessons. In fact, Mr. J is the one who recommended the music store where Bren takes lessons. For the graduation ceremony, Mr. J had coordinated several little songs for the graduates to perform. One of the songs was Skip to My Lou - one of the first songs Bren learned on his guitar - so Mr. J asked Brenson to play the song on his guitar before the rest of the Kindergarten students sang it. I wasn't sure if Bren would be up for performing in front of a crowd, but he did it! He took his performance very seriously, and did a wonderful job!


I had coached Bren a little bit regarding what to do if he made a mistake during his performance, When practicing at home, he would stop and sigh and get frustrated if he made a mistake, and I didn't want him doing that during his performance. I told him that if he missed a note, just keep playing like he meant to play it that way. Most of the time, people can't tell if you just keep on playing. I was so glad we had discussed it because he did miss the very last note. However, he immediately played the correct note, and I'm not sure anyone aside from Mr. J and myself noticed the mistake. Chris didn't even notice!

What a fantastic opportunity! And he rocked it!

After Bren's little solo, he rejoined the rest of Kindergarten to sing Skip to My Lou, as well as a few other little songs.

Brecklyn thought the music was pretty great!


Then, each child was called up to receive a little diploma and a medal for completing Kinder.


Brenson's Kindergarten class with their diplomas and medals :-)

After the ceremony, we were all invited back to Bren's classroom for a few refreshments. I got through the ceremony without too many tears, but I was definitely hugging my little man a little tighter afterwards!

We have been SO happy with Brenson's teacher this year. Mrs. T was exactly what Brenson needed for his first year of school, and he truly thrived in her class. She is a no-nonsense teacher, and I have heard several parents call her "harsh", but she and Brenson got along beautifully. She even told me during one of our parent-teacher conferences that she knows she shouldn't have a favorite, but he was her "pet". I'm so very thankful for a great year with a wonderful teacher! It was super endearing when Mrs. T got emotional during the little reception . . . she truly loves those kids!

Brenson and his buddy, Zack

Brenson and his friend, Hunter

The twins were not interested in taking photos. They were just there for the cookies, haha!

Daddy and Brenson

Brianna was actually able to join us for the graduation ceremony, but we had her go back to class before the reception. I'm sad that I missed getting a photo of her and Bren.

I've mentioned before that one of the moms in Bren's class is a photographer, so that's why I have several really cute photos of him from class parties and such. She also took graduation photos of all the kids in a cap and gown. My heart can hardly take this!

It's hard to believe that Bren's first year of school is already over. We are grateful beyond words for a great first year, and for all the hard work Bren has put into his academics, running, and music. Happy Kinder graduation, Buggy!

No comments: