Saturday, February 23, 2019

Before and After of the Kid Room Makeovers!

As I outlined in this post, this year for the kids' birthdays we repainted and redecorated their bedrooms. It's amazing the difference a little bit of paint and some new decor can make! The kids are all thrilled with how their rooms turned out, so I thought I'd share pictures of the before and after of each room.

Before I begin, I'd like to make the disclaimer that I am certainly not a photographer. Most of the pics in this post were taken with my iPhone, and it's difficult to capture the true color of the walls. However, I do think you will be able to get a good idea of the wall color, even if it's not perfect and appears slightly different from photo to photo.

I'll begin with the twins' room. Their room had the least change because they haven't really outgrown their decor yet, and their bedding is in good shape. We painted the walls and ceiling, and I did add some new unicorn garland (because they love unicorns right now) on one of their walls.

The before photos of their room were taken not long after we moved into our house (over two years ago). We replaced their cribs with toddler beds back in May of 2017, as well as removed the diaper changing pad from the dresser. However, the photos below are basically what their room looked like before we painted, just with different beds:







Here is what their room looks like now:


A few months ago, Chris and I hung the hooks you can see in the photo below for the girls' dress-up dresses. For Christmas, they received the little vanity with a mirror from one of their Aunt & Uncles. They love this little area of their room!

Two of the walls are a light lavender, while the other two walls are more of a purple color (very similar to their nursery which you can see here).

The bow holder is on the back of the door that leads out of the room. The other doors are the closet.

They loved the new unicorn garland I hung up in place of the pennant banner . . . especially since the gold unicorns sparkle!

I actually reused the pennant banner by cutting it in half and hanging it above the girls' beds. It adds a cute little touch!


The twins' room was the easiest to finish because we did the least in there, but the paint made a big difference!

Before on top, After on bottom


Brianna's room was probably the biggest redo of the three rooms. Not only did we paint the walls and ceiling in her room, but she also received new decor, bedding, rug, curtain, and we rearranged. Her room definitely feels like a totally different space!

Here is what her room looked like before:






She really wanted something that looked more mature, and I think we accomplished that (although there are certainly still many little girl elements in the room). Here is what her room looks like now: 


The photo below was taken before we completed the window decor, but it gives you a good look at the full wall.

I added this fun wool pom garland,

and this shelf above the window to hold her Precious Moments birthday train.

The purple book is a baby book I made her, and the cabbage patch doll was a gift she received when she was born. They were both part of her nursery decor, too :-). You can see that here.

The door in the photo below is the closet door.

We moved her dresser to the wall immediately to the right when you enter the room (you can see the main door in the photo below). 

I updated the decor on her floating shelves,



and we added these hooks for her purses, bags, and hats.

This is the view standing at the closet door looking toward the main door. 

The head of Brianna's bed used to be just under where the clock and floating shelf are. Now, this wall is home to her desk.

The arrows on the wall are decals I purchased through Amazon. They are super cute, but they were not easy to put on!

I love some of the decor we added to the shelf above her desk!

And, we changed out a few things on her desk, too.

Next to her desk is Brianna's American Girl Doll collection (only hers isn't AG . . . it's the Walmart brand My Life)

The rest of her My Life doll stuff is housed in the closet. Brianna calls it their "apartment" :-).

We're hoping that this is a room that will grow with Brianna for several years to come, and we were all happy with the finished result!

Before on top, After on bottom


Brenson's room had quite a few changes, too. We didn't rearrange, but he did get new paint, rug, bedding, and a few decor items. He was only 4 years old when we moved into our house, and he loved Paw Patrol at the time. He had several Paw Patrol items in his room that he requested we remove :-(. Here is what his room looked like before:






And here is what his room looks like now:


We painted his walls the same color as they were before, just with a higher quality paint that will clean easier. Then, we added the stripes to the one wall. 

I replaced his Paw Patrol lamp with the one in the photo below. Bren's favorite color is red, and he actually asked me to paint the entire room red. We compromised with a red stripe and some red accents. He loves his room, so he wasn't a bit disappointed with the compromise!

He also got new bedding, but he still sleeps with his Tramp Dog that he's had since he was a baby!

This mobile is one I made for his nursery (which you can see here). I was happy he still wanted it in his room!


We added the hooks to hang his medals on (mostly running medals).



The orange box holds Legos, and Bren always has projects sitting out.

These frames were green and orange, respectively. Chris spray painted them red for me to go with the room better.

I changed up his wall decor a bit, and added the "B" to the door. The closed door is the closet.

The signs say "I am a master builder", "Everything is awesome", and "I would walk across Legos for you". Bren loves Legos, so I thought they were fitting!


Behind the main door to the room is a hook for Bren's bathrobe, his guitar, a wall hanging for patches he collects traveling, and hooks where I hang his clothes for the week.

I love how Bren's room turned out, and I think this will also be a room that grows with him for a while. 

Before on top, After on bottom

Before we began these projects, it felt really overwhelming to think about redoing three bedrooms all at once. However, I'm so glad we put the work in because everyone loves how the rooms look now. I love having a project or two going, so now I'm thinking of other ways to change up and improve some things around our house *grin*.

If you missed the post where I gave a tour of the entire house, you can click here to see it!



No comments: