Friday, June 21, 2019

Father's Day 2019

So, I have a confession: Father's Day is often the overlooked holiday around our house. This is not because I don't care about Father's Day, and it's certainly not because my kids don't have a wonderful Dad to celebrate. It's not even because I have my own Daddy issues, and therefore have some sort of emotional hang-up with the day. It's simply because it falls at a difficult time of year for us. 

Our church's VBS (you can read about this year's here) is always the second full week of June. Sometimes, this means that the first day of VBS is on Father's Day. With Chris as the director and me as a teacher and primary decorator, Father's Day gets pushed to the back burner to focus on VBS. When it happens that Father's Day is on the same day as our VBS kickoff, we just celebrate the following Sunday. 

This year, we thought Father's Day and the first day of VBS were the same, so we made plans to observe Father's Day on Sunday, June 16th. I was happily surprised when I realized that Father's Day actually fell on that day anyway :-). 

Each year, the kids add photos, drawings, and writings to a book for Chris for Father's Day. The following photos are the ones we took for the book.

Brooke and Daddy

Daddy and Brecklyn

Daddy and Brenson

Brianna and Daddy

This year, I also had the kids fill out these little questionnaires about Chris. They were quite entertaining, and I put them in the book for him to have for the future.

Brooke



Brecklyn


Brianna


Brenson


This crew of little people absolutely adore their Daddy. I'm so grateful that he's a hands-on, involved Dad. There's not much he won't do with and for his kids, and I know that not every man is like that! I often say that my kids have no idea how blessed they are with a Dad who's so present.

How cute are they . . . all coordinated!

Of course, Father's Day is about my Dad, too. This year, he was on a mission trip in Jamaica during Father's Day, so we had to celebrate when he got back. I can't say enough how grateful I am that my kids have strong, Godly men in their lives. It's a privilege that's not lost on me.




No comments: