Monday, December 30, 2019

Another Christmas and Strep!

Well, I guess I gave it away in the title, but our final Christmas at the N Homestead didn't exactly turn out like we had planned. I'm quickly learning that kids (or my kids anyway) get sick at the drop of a hat, and said sickness can ruin even the best laid plans. Sigh.

So, the plan was for us to go out to Meme and Papa's place to celebrate Christmas on Saturday, December 27th. This was a time when all of us (meaning our family, Meme and Papa, and the Hensleys) could all be together, and we were looking forward to it. However, Brooke ended up sick and it was just not meant to be 😞.

I had written here about how we went to bible study on the evening of Christmas Day. After services, Brooke, Brecklyn, and their friend Sadie were all walking around holding hands. They have a sweet friendship and they love each other so much. The next day, I received a text from Tia letting me know that Sadie had developed some interesting spots on her hand . . . like little puss-filled bumps. Tia took Sadie to the doctor, and she was promptly diagnosed with strep on her hands . . . the same hands that Brooke and Brecklyn had been holding the night before!

We knew with this information that it was very likely both Brooke and Brecklyn could end up with strep, and that's exactly what happened. Brooke woke up crying on Friday after she went to bed because her throat hurt. We had a telemedicine appointment, and the doctor diagnosed Brooke with strep throat. That meant no trip to the Homestead for her or me because she was contagious for 24-36 hours after she started her antibiotic.

However, Chris went on and took the other three children out to see their cousins and grandparents. We both felt like there was no sense in everyone missing out on the festivities because one child was sick. He even remembered to take a few photos for me :-).

Opening gifts

Brianna with a sewing machine for her dolls

New pjs!

Brecklyn loves getting new pjs!

Meme and Papa have a sled that Brecklyn felt the need to pull all around, haha!

In recent years, Meme has had a fun craft for the kids to do. Brianna and Brecklyn both enjoyed this!

Of course, Bren would much rather be outside! He loves the tire swing.

Meanwhile back at home, I had a very sad and disappointed little girl. She rested off and on all day, we read some book and watched some movies, then got a BIG surprise. A tornado decided to come to town!

I thought I was hearing things when I first heard the tornado sirens, but one look at the weather on my phone showed me that my ears were correct. Yikes!

So, on a chilly day in late December, my sick little one and I took cover in the book nook from a tornado.

Definitely not how I thought this day would go!

Thankfully, the storm passed without significant damage, and we were able to resume our activities (of watching movies) fairly quickly. Not too long after the tornado scare, everyone else got home from their fun day. Brooke was so pleased that they brought her gifts home. I don't know if she thought she wouldn't get them or what?

It was good to see her sweet smile after a full day of not feeling good and major disappointment. 

Although our plan for the day was derailed, we are grateful that at least part of our crew was able to go be with family. The kids truly love being out on the Homestead, and Chris loves that they are enjoying the same land he did as a child. 

Oh, and *spoiler alert* - Brecklyn ended up with strep throat too. Because of course.



No comments: