Monday, January 13, 2020

Extended Family Photos

Hi, Everyone! I hope you've had a great start to 2020! Does it feel super weird for anyone else to say 2020? For whatever reason, I feel so strange saying or typing it. Maybe because it still seems that 2020 should be way off in the future?!?

I feel like I've had a pretty slow start to my year. We had company the entire week of New Years (which was on Wednesday this year), so I wasn't on top of my game as far as having all of Christmas packed up and all my organizing done before the kids headed back to school on Monday. I spent last week getting all those things finished, but I'm feeling like I'm behind the game on the fresh start of the New Year. I'll write all about the week of New Years fun we had, but for today I want to share some photos we took while extended family was in town. 

Four years ago, the family went and had extended family photos made at a studio (you can see them here). It ended up being kind of stressful and more expensive than we anticipated, so although we wanted updated photos, we weren't really willing to go to a studio again. We thought about hiring a photographer, but no one was really available when we would all be together. Several family members suggested we just take some photos with a tripod and a timer, so we made a plan to do that the afternoon of New Years Day.

I had a grand plan of doing the photos outdoors, in a spot in my backyard that I knew had good late afternoon lighting. Sadly, on the day we planned to take photos, it was super windy (there was a wind advisory issued by the National Weather Service). Because of the wind, outdoors photos weren't really an option. Instead, we set up a place in my living room to take photos, but I'm not happy at all with the lighting. I am, however, thankful that we took the time to take a few photos!

Brecklyn and Brooke (helping me test the lighting)

Brecklyn, Brenson, Brianna, and Brooke

Just my girls . . . Brecklyn, Brianna, and Brooke

Brooke wanted a photo of her "by my own". She sat down and posed so sweetly!

Uncle Jeremy and Brianna

Uncle Jeremy and Chloe

Uncle Jeremy, Chloe, Brianna, and Brooke . . . just some silliness!

Brianna and Chloe Jo

Dad, Jeremy, and Mom 


The Family . . . I don't love my placement in the this photo, but I was the one running back and forth to the camera.


This is another family shot minus Mallory (JT's girlfriend). I like where I am placed much better in this one!



My sister and her family with my parents



Chloe and Brianna kissing their grandparents

Brecklyn and Brooke kissing their grandparents . . . Brecklyn's stiff body makes me laugh!

Grampy and G-Jo with their grandchildren


Kaylee and JT kissing their grandparents

My brother and his family with my parents

My brother and his family plus Mallory with my parents 

My family with my parents

Brenson, Grampy, and JT


In the spirit of complete honesty, I am pretty disappointed with how these photos turned out. I just keep thinking how they could have been so much better outdoors with better lighting and a solid brick backdrop. Some things, however, are out of my control, and this was just one of those things. Some day, despite the amateur feel and look of these photos, I hope we'll be grateful to have them. 




No comments: