Thursday, July 14, 2022

It Finally Got Us.

 In my last post, I said I'd share all about our experience with Covid. Little did I know that I would get it too. And y'all, it was NO JOKE. I had a fairly severe case, and I'm still recovering. I can't remember the last time I have been that sick. Ugh.

Back at the end of June, Brianna went to stay with her cousins in Mississippi for a week. On the last Saturday in June (June 30th), we met JT, Mallory, and Brianna at Cracker Barrel in Conway, Arkansas to get Bri back. Bren seemed fine that morning, but by the time we were headed home after lunch, he wasn't feeling good. He kept complaining that his muscles ached, specifically his legs, and that he was super tired. We were on schedule to make it home about 4:30, then had plans to go to the Burkholders house that evening for a fireworks show. After Bren fell asleep in the car on the way home, then went straight to bed and back to sleep once we got home, I decided to take his temp. I wasn't surprised that it was 103 degrees. Everyone was super disappointed that we had to cancel our plans for the fireworks show. 

My first thought was that he probably had Covid. Both of the big kids were supposed to go to bible camp on July 10th, so I felt like we needed to know if it was Covid or not. Chris ran to the store and purchased some home Covid tests. We gave one to Bren, and it was positive. 

JT and Mallory were scheduled to start a camp the following day, so we felt super bad about exposing them. Thankfully, they both tested negative, went on to camp, and never got sick.


We immediately quarantined Bren to our bedroom closet so I could take care of him and keep him away from the girls. I would go out of the bedroom some to get things and refill water, but the girls would stay far away from me, as well. Chris slept in the living room as to minimize exposure, but Bren was so sick that there was no way I was going to sleep away from him. His temp reached almost 105 several times, he was having hallucinations, he could barely walk, had no appetite, and was just super sick in general. I felt SO bad for him. 

We did call his pediatrician just to make sure we were covering all our bases. His pulse-ox dropped pretty low a few times, and we needed to be reassured that we didn't need to take him to the hospital. The pediatrician told us that if he tested negative after five days, he could still go to camp. We were hanging on to hope for that!

We all stayed in on Sunday and missed our ice cream social after worship that evening. On Monday (July 4th), I helped Bren get dressed so we could take a few quick, festive photos. 

Grampy and G-Jo had porch dropped popsicles for us

Poor guy . . . you can see in his eyes that he was so sick.

On Tuesday, Bren finally started to feel better. However, as the day wore on, I began feeling really off. I couldn't even really describe it, but my head felt "swimmy" and my throat was sore. I tested for Covid and to my surprise the test was negative. I went to bed feeling kind of awful, and woke up feeling worse. On Wednesday morning, my fever was 103 and my entire body ached something terrible. There was no denying I had Covid, too!

I don't remember much of the next 72 hours. I slept a ton, tried to drink water, and just hurt so bad. My fever didn't break until Friday afternoon, at which time I sweat buckets. Chris was trying to work, take care of the kids, and keep up with the household duties (just meals alone is big), and finally decided to take a few days off. On Saturday, I got out of bed to try and help the big kids pack for camp, but could only be up for a few minutes at a time. Thankfully, Bren was feeling fine by this point and tested negative. I was so sad to not really be able to help them get ready for camp, though!

Our plan for Sunday was to leave the house at 7:00am, stop for worship services on the way to camp, grab lunch, get the kids to camp, drive to Overland Park (about 45 minutes from camp), check in to a hotel, go to worship services in Olathe, spend the night, and Chris go in to his physical office on Monday to meet some of his co-workers face-to-face for the first time. I absolutely didn't know if I had it in me to do all that, but Chris helped me Sunday morning and we stuck with our plan. I'll say though, I was SO tired and slept almost the entire time we were in the car before and after worship services. I also had ZERO appetite, and could barely walk to Bri's cabin to help get her settled. In fact, I hitched a ride back down the hill after helping her set up her bed because I was so weak. 

We did worship in Olathe that evening, but I went to bed immediately when we got back to the hotel room. The twins and I drove Chris to work the next morning, then returned to the hotel room and I slept while they watched TV until it was time to check out. I'm still feeling SUPER run down, and have really been taking it easy this whole week. 

While I'm so grateful that things weren't worse for us (hospitalization), this was truly the sickest I've been in a long, long time. I'm wondering how long it will take me to fully recover, because based upon the way I feel today, I think it's going to be a while.




No comments: