Friday, December 8, 2017

December Fun - Decorating the House!

This year was the first year in a long time (maybe ever?) that I was really tempted to decorate the house for Christmas several weeks before Thanksgiving. I'm typically a "give Thanksgiving its time" person (meaning NO Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving), but this year I was just feeling the Christmas spirit early for some reason. BUT - because we hosted Thanksgiving at our house - I made myself wait until after Thanksgiving for the Christmas decorating :-).

So, because I had already been anxious to get some Christmas decorating done, as soon as Thanksgiving was over and our company had gone, I started transforming the house into a holly jolly homestead! I had never put a tree in the twins' room before, but this year I felt like they were ready for a tree of their own. Aunt Lisa had a small pink tree that she was getting rid of, so I got that for the girls. Since pink is Brecklyn's color, we decorated the tree in all purple (Brooke's color). They loved helping me set it all up and put ornaments on it!

Brecklyn and Brooke


Brianna was also eager to get her tree set up. This year, we decided to put it up on her dresser instead of on the floor, and I think it looked really cute that way! 

Brenson pretty much did his tree by himself. I had planned on helping him, but he was too excited to wait for me, haha!

The first Saturday in December, we set aside the day for decorating the main areas of the house. This is something we enjoy doing as a family, and it feels like the kick-off to the Christmas season for us.

Daddy and Brianna decorating the bannister

Brianna, Brecklyn, and Brooke

Brenson helping fluff the tree

Brecklyn and Brooke weren't feeling great, and they were getting impatient waiting for something they could do. We took a time out for some snuggles!

Momma working on the tree

Brecklyn hanging an ornament on the tree

Brianna decorating the tree

Brooke doing her part to decorate the tree

Brecklyn's camera smile is hilarious

I focused on putting ornaments on the upper branches because the lower branches got full pretty quickly!

The finished tree! I love our tree because it's covered in hand made and sentimental ornaments. We love to talk about each ornament as we hang it, and it's a fun little walk down memory lane each year.

My decorating helpers :-)

We have quite a few Christmas books (and no room on our bookshelves), so I pack our Christmas books away in the Christmas bins each year. I think one of the things the children love the most about getting out our Christmas decorations is getting their Christmas books back! Of course, we had to read a few before bed that night.

In addition to our big tree and the three little trees in the kids' bedrooms, I also put a tree upstairs in the dormer window. This tree holds all of our Hallmark Keepsake ornaments, as well as special ornaments we've gotten in memory of our lost babies. 

Chris had finished the lights and yard decorations during the few days right after Thanksgiving, but the outside of the house wasn't complete until the tree was in the window upstairs!

I love how cozy the house feels when it's all Christmas-y! 


No comments: