Monday, December 13, 2010

O Tannenbaum

Every single year, when December rolls around, one of my favorite things to do is put up and enjoy our Christmas tree. I love sitting in our living room in the evenings with only the lights from the tree illuminating the room. I'm blogging by the light of the Christmas tree right now :-).



This year, with a very mobile 9 month old baby in the house, I wasn't sure about putting up the Christmas tree. However, I just couldn't imagine Brianna's first Christmas with no tree, so I decided to go for it! As it turns out, she loves the tree just like her Mommy.



Chris and I decided that we would start a family tradition of buying Brianna an ornament each year. Growing up, I (along with everyone else in my family) received an ornament every year handcrafted by my Gramsie (my mother's father's mother). Each ornament would always hold one crisp, folded dollar bill. When I was younger, I would spend the dollar, but as I grew older I began leaving the dollar attached to the ornament. Anyway, I love those ornaments and want Brianna to have special ornaments as well.



Here is her ornament that we picked out for her this year:



Miss Brianna had to examine the ornament thoroughly before hanging it on the tree. She even taste-tested it :-).



Daddy putting the finishing touch on the tree with the topper:



Brianna loves looking at the ornaments! It has taken a few weeks, but she has finally learned that the ornaments are for looking, not touching. Although, I'm pretty sure I'm not setting a great example in the photo below...



While I do love our finished tree, I have always loved the process of putting it up just as much. I have great memories of my family decorating the house for Christmas each year, and I hope that Chris and I can help Brianna create great memories as well.


Oh, and in case you don't know, O Tannenbaum is German for Oh Christmas Tree. A Tannenbaum is a fir tree. Just a bit of Christmas trivia for the day *smile*.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is it real or artificial? :)