Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Project Mode: Nursery :-)

I promised you all that I'd show you a couple more things that I've been working on for Brenson's nursery. I've had a lot of fun planning his room and can't wait until it's all finished!

We have always had a lamp in Brianna's room, and it's been an important part of her night-time routine. She knows that when the overheard light goes off and the lamp comes on, it's time to start winding down for the night. I want to have the same signals/routine with Brenson. However, this is the lamp that was in the spare bedroom (now his room):
Not exactly what I had in mind for a baby boy's nursery, you know? So, I began looking for a new lampshade . . . and couldn't find anything that I liked AND was willing to pay the price for. I decided that I could easily make my own lampshade, so I added it to my project list.

I started with a self-adhesive lampshade purchased from the Hob Lob with a 40% off coupon (I think I paid $6 for it after the coupon), 3/4 of a yard of giraffe print fabric (also from Hob Lob), and the blue trim pictured below.
Honestly, the self-adhesive lampshade was pretty worthless as I ended up hot gluing the fabric at the seam and around the edges anyway, BUT it came with this template for the fabric which was really helpful!
After cutting out fabric according to the template, I hot-glued it on the lampshade. It was a very simple process . . . took maybe 15 minutes.
I thought the shade looked a little blah, so I decided to add the blue trim I had picked out when planning the project. It took me about 30 seconds to realize that I pretty much hated the way it looked, and decided to go with some leftover brown ribbon from Brenson's mobile project.
I hot-glued it around the top and bottom of the shade, and am very happy with how it looks!

After purchasing a new lamp base from Lowe's, I love the way it turned out (the silver lamp base was well-worn and just didn't look as good with the shade and other room decor). I think it looks great with the wall color!
I also purchased the cute frame in the photo above . . . I couldn't resist :-). Oh, and I'm not sure yet what we are going to do about a small table for the lamp and frame, but we won't be using the one pictured. We're still working on it.

With the leftover fabric and ribbon, I decided to cover a paper mache' B that I had purchased from Hob Lob. This was quite a project! The B is 3D (as you can see, it's standing on its own in the photo), and I had a hard time cutting the fabric perfectly to fit. BUT, I am thrilled with the finished product - though I will admit it took me 2.5 hours to complete *shakes head*.
You can also see our orange accent wall that we painted, as well as Brenson's crib and bedding. Once everything is completed, I'll definitely post photos of the whole room! We (and by we, I really mean Chris) spent some time this past weekend putting finishing touches on the paint, hanging new hardware for the curtains (which I can't wait to show you all . . . my mom custom made them), and doing a few other little things. Next up: hanging things on the walls. Can't wait!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love the way the lamp turned out!! I may have to do the same thing in my nursery.