Saturday, September 7, 2013

Roots

For many of us, I think our grandparents are some of the most special people in the world to us. I know that for Chris and myself, that is certainly the case. One of the unexpected blessings that parenthood has brought to us has been watching our children interact with our grandparents. We have both become those parents . . . the ones who talk to our children about our childhood and history and wish to impart that sense of family pride and heritage to them. 


A few months ago, my sister and I took our kiddos up to visit our grandparents who live in Kansas. It was such a joy to be with them, but even more to watch them play with our babies. 

A special moment between Granny Tiger and Brianna . . . sharing photos of our Disney World trip:

I adore this photo of our kids with Granny Tiger and Pappy. Pappy is whistling . . . he does this constantly. Even with his Alzheimer's disease as progressed as it is, he is still wonderful with the children.

My grandparents have been two of the most influential people in my life. I am so blessed!

I tried . . . :-).

My sweet little guy had so much fun playing in the courtyard of the assisted living facility where they live. Love this photo!

Here is another good one of my grandparents and the children. I know I will always cherish these photos.

Granny and Brianna working a puzzle together:

Granny Tiger has all kinds of tigers decorating her home (her nickname is Tiger because she's feisty :-). Brenson was quite frightened of this large, carved tiger at first, but he eventually warmed up to him. Then he just wanted to pet him, haha!

Playing tickle monster on the couch. Warms my heart.

My children are not only blessed to have one set of living great-grandparents, but they have a total of 5 living greats. We are able to spend a decent amount of time with Chris's grandparents as well. Brenson has officially inherited Chris's "spot" at the dinner table at Grandma and Grandpa's house:

Pictured below are 4 generations of N men on the N Homestead. This land has been in the family since 1935, and Chris co-owns a portion of it. Someday, we hope that Brenson will inherit it.

Brianna with Grandma and Grandpa:

Brianna thought that since the boys took a photo, the girls should take one as well.

I love this photo. Grandpa went and sat down, so Brenson had to mimic. Another photo that we'll forever cherish, I'm certain.

Heritage is so important, and I'm so glad to be able to give our children these experiences.

"There are two gifts that we should give our children: One is roots and the other is wings."



No comments: